- Big Data Gets a Seat at the Table. We’re expecting to see big data get more actionable next year. With DMPs becoming more robust, offline data moving online, and technical infrastructure thriving, big data is ready to be put to work facilitating better marketing decisions.
- The LUMA Slide Gets Smaller. Everyone has seen the LUMA slide. And most will tell you that the crowded space means that consolidation is on its way. While that seems likely, we’re hoping to also see growth in open platform initiatives, technical partnerships and greater cooperation between complementary businesses within the ecosystem. The AppNexus App Marketplace — of which we are happy to be a part — is an example of the type of openness and cooperation we are looking forward to in 2012.
- Analytics Takes Center Stage. Modeling is going to prove more important than ever. In order to really achieve marketing scale, you need to be able to dig deep and wide into data to develop a complete picture of your target audience and design marketing campaigns that will achieve lift. Continuing to use analytics in big data will fuel this capability, as we outline in our white paper, Defining the Audience Discovery Value Chain.
- Brand Advertisers Rev Up Audience Targeting. We anticipate seeing brand advertisers pick up steam in their use of audience targeting in 2012. This will be driven by two primary trends:
- The agencies and trading desks which represent major brands have invested significantly in data infrastructure and expertise over the past year.
- The data itself will be more available at greater scale. Nielsen, among others, has brought powerful data for brand advertisers online and it’s now at the fingertips of trading desks, networks and DSPs; some of it for the first time.
What are your thoughts for 2012? Let us know your ideas or how you think 2011 helped shape what 2012 will look like.